IMSaT is an interdisciplinary institute for future Medical Technologies positioned at the interface of Physics, Engineering with Clinical and Life Sciences founded in 2006 as a joint initiative by the University of Dundee and the University of St. Andrews, supported by Scottish Enterprise and the EU.
IMSaT is a partner of TAHSC, NRP, and SINAPSE and is linked to the World's first MR/PET/CT combined interventional surgical suite at CRC.
IMSaT hosts GE's First European Centre of Excellence for Pre-Clinical Image-guided Interventions and Surgery.
IMSaT is conducting world-class research and development in several areas promising valuable advances for patients, healthcare providers and life science companies alike:
- Diagnostic & therapeutic imaging: the application of advanced cellular and molecular imaging techniques will revolutionize drug discovery & evaluation, diagnostics, and therapies (e.g. using MRI and ultrasound and advancing instrumentation including robotics to provide precise placement of probes and destructive energy to destroy or shrink malignant tumours)
- Drug delivery: new technologies for delivering drugs in a highly targeted, efficient fashion will establish new standards of clinical efficacy, efficiency and patient care
- Regenerative medicine: technologies for wound healing and tissue correction have huge economic potential for the medical device and allied biotechnology industries
- Minimally invasive surgical techniques: emerging technologies such as Minimal Access Surgery, ultrasound imaging, radio-frequency devices, cryogenics and lasers are driving the potential for new state-of-the-art equipment.
IMSaT is housed in a new two-storey building, Wilson House, located next to the NHS Hospital and Medical School at Ninewells. Wilson House comprises 10,000 sq.ft. of lab space and contains:
- Full equipped workshop for instruments and implant production
- Nanotechnology and cell biology
- Ultrasound imaging and photonics labs
- Interventional MRI with surgical suite
IMSaT is also located close to the Clinical Research Centre, a joint venture of NHS Tayside and University of Dundee, comprising the following additional facilities:
- A clinical imaging suite with a 3 Tesla MRI scanner, a PET/CT scanner, and associated cyclotron (planned)
- Fully equipped inpatient and outpatient suites